Many homeowners try to find a healthier home — if that means choosing eco friendly materials for a remodel or even greener products for everyday life. For me personally, locating healthier, more successful and well-intentioned cleaning options is at the very top of my listing. Fortunately, effective options have been in existence for centuries. Many of these cleaners, including vinegar, are already in your closet.
Vinegar is among the most versatile and effective household cleaners. At pennies per ounce, it’s also among the most affordable cleaners on the market. Simply blend 1 cup of water along with 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle. This simple mixture may be used for most cleaning tasks, with added all-natural components added to handle tougher jobs.
Not overly fond of the odor? Don’t worry, the odor dissipates as the vinegar dries.
Bathroom. Vinegar may be used to clean the bathroom from top to bottom.
• Utilize the fundamental mixture on the bathroom and tile floors; and on tough water stains, soap and film residue on the sink and shower. Just spray onwash and wash clean.
• To wash grout, combine 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup warm water and 2 tablespoons borax. Let soak and scrub.
Suggestion: Have a clogged shower drain or head? Soak the shower head in vinegar or use this method to fix the drain.
Hart Associates Architects, Inc..
Kitchen. The kitchen is another room that sees the full benefits of vinegar — that the simple mixture can clean virtually every surface in this room.
Utilize the simple mixture to clean and disinfect the refrigerator, surfaces, tile floors and cutting boards.For sparkling dishes, pour 2 cups of white vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher in addition to routine dishwasher detergent and wash with a full cycle.Clean and deodorize the kitchen drain by pouring 2 cups of boiling water followed by 2 cups of white distilled vinegar down each drain.
Tim Barber Ltd Architecture
Laundry. Use vinegar to soften and lift stains from clothes in the laundry room.
Add two cups of white vinegar to the wash cycle to remove soap residue and leave laundry soft and fresh.Lightly sponge distilled white vinegar on deodorant and wine stains on 100 percent cotton, cotton polyester and permanent press fabrics. Note: This must be done within one day of this wine stain.Deodorize your washing machine by adding 2 cups of white vinegar to an empty machine and turn it on to a full cycle.Remove black burn marks from an iron plate with a paste of equal parts white distilled vinegar and salt. Rub the paste on the chilled iron plate and wash clean.
Living room, hall and bedroom. These living spaces often take the brunt of household abuse; use vinegar to whip them back into shape!
• Wash no-wax floors, woodwork, doors, walls and blinds with the simple mixture.
• To get a streak-free shine, wash windows with equal parts warm water and vinegar. Wipe dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
• Grow fresh stains from carpets, upholstery and rugs with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of liquid detergent, 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 1 pint of warm water. Pour the mixture onto the stain, scrub with a soft brush or towel and blot dry. Repeat until stain is removed. Notice: Read your carpet manufacturer’s label beforehand, and examine the mixture on a tiny inconspicuous place.
• Pesky water rings can be removed by rubbing against a combination of equal parts olive oil and vinegar on the stain. Buff with all the grain, and polish after stain is removed.
Have cleansing procedures of your own? Share your hints in the Comments section below.
More: How to Eliminate Grout Magically Clean — Stains and All